Recipe by Derf
Crispy, Crunchy, Summer Salad!!!
Top Review by Geema
These salad ingredients are a wonderful combination of flavors and textures that made our mouths happy. The dressing, while tangy and easy to whip together wasn't my favorite for this great salad. It just didn't have enough flavor, or maybe my capers just weren't up to snuff. We ate every bite, however, and thank you Derf for posting it.
Creamy caper dressing
- 3 tablespoons small capers, drained,rinsed and minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons white wine vinegar or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ears corn
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts
- 3 medium Belgian endive
- 4 -5 strips bacon, cooked until crisp and cut into 1/4 inch dice
- garlic-flavored croutons (recipe in 'zaar)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Creamy Caper Dressing: Whisk together the capers, vinegar, buttermilk, salt and pepper.
- Then whisk in the oil in a steady stream to emulsify.
- Salad: Prepare a large bowl of ice water.
- STeam the corn until tender, about 3 to 6 minutes, depending on the ripeness, immediately plunge the corn into the ice water, and remove as soon as it's cooled.
- Using a large sharp knife, cut the corn from the cob, being sure to catch any juice.
- Cut the tomatoes in half width wise, then scoop out the seeds with your fingers.
- Cut into 1/4 inch dice.
- Peel off the outer dark green leaves from the romaine and cut off 3 inches from the tip.
- Cut inner leaves into 1/2 inch ribbons, then wash and dry thoroughly.
- Remove any brown outer leaves from the endive, then cut leaves into 1/2 inch ribbons.
- Combine the corn, tomatoes, romaine, endive, bacon and croutons in a large bowl.
- Toss with the dressing to distibute evenly.
- Add salt and pepper as you toss, until the capery flavour of the dressing comes through on the leaves.