Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A cold salad...can be a side dish or a meal in and of itself. Beautiful colors to accent any meal! Makes a big bowl that can last up to a week.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 large yellow onion (chopped)
- indian curry powder (red or yellow, I like yellow better in this dish)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 dash cumin
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce or 1 dash other chili sauce
- 2 -3 drops sesame oil
- fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 apple, cored and chopped, not peeled (a tarter, crisper apple is better, like Braeburn)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 dash sea salt
- celery (chopped)
- snow peas (chopped)
- bell pepper (red, green, or yellow(chopped)
- green onion (chopped)
- peanuts or cashews or chicken or shrimp
- Prepare brown rice.
- Prepare onions and curry oil: In a large saucepan, put 1/4c olive oil on med. high heat. Add 2 heaping tablespoons of curry powder when oil is hot. Add a dash of chili sauce, cumin, and a couple of drops of sesame oil--I like a little extra cumin. Stir with a wooden spoon and let simmer until mixture turns slightly darker (but does not burn!) Add chopped yellow onion and cook until translucent (add water as needed to keep onins from sticking to pan). Taste mixture and add more curry as desired.
- Mix rice and onions.
- Add other ingredients to taste.
- Chill and serve.
Loved this salad. DH didn't care for the raisins but I loved them. I was a little confused about the curry oil if it was in addition to the 1/4 C. olive oil but the ingredient list said 1/8 c. Served with Grilled Chicken With Curry Glaze.