Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
Slight twist on the classic. Uses garlic and red pepper to boost the bite a bit! Watch how much onion you use as too much will overpower the cukes.
- 2 large cucumbers, sliced as thin as able. use a mandolin if you have one
- 1 small onion, sliced as thin a able. use a mandolin if you have one
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon prepared garlic (jar chopped and in oil)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- salt (for dehydrating cukes)
- salt and pepper
- Peal cukes in stripes leaving some green.
- On a mandolin slice very thin the cukes, place in large bowl.
- Dust with sea salt.
- (You must press and drain the cukes or you will have a watery mess).
- Place wax paper on cuke slices.
- Place a plate on top of cukes and a weight on top of that. ( Tea kettle, Cans etc.).
- Every 20 mins or so, drain the cukes, mix and re-salt. Replace the weights.
- Do this at least 3 times, more if you are patient.
- Meanwhile, peal a small onion and slice very thin on a mandolin. Place in a bowl and wait for cukes to dehydrate.
- When cukes are ready, mix with onions, mayo, sour cream, garlic, parsley, dill, cayenne and S & P to taste.
- Mix well and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Drain off a bit of the liquid.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Before serving, mix all and drain more liquid away.
- NOTE: Play with the amount of mayo/sour cream to your taste. Also garlic and cayenne pepper as liked.
I used this recipe when I had way too many cucumbers that needed to be re-purposed. I loved the thin slices with the mandolin, but I only had time to press them twice (I used paper towels instead of wax paper to get them more dry), and they were still a little soggy. I also added green peppers, diced, and omitted the dill b/c of by boyfriend's extreme aversion to it. For the dressing, I used equal parts mayo/greek yogurt/sour cream and added some acidity with lemon juice and a dash of white vinegar. The spicy garlic flavor made this dish refreshingly different from other cucumber salad recipes - overall pretty darn tasty!