1/1 Photo of Summer Couscous Salad
An absolutely fantastic summer salad. Nice on its own, but also lovely with a piece of barbecued meat. Recipe source is a small booklet called 'Simple Summer Food' that came along with the June addition (06) of the British 'Good Food' magazine. Although this is not a traditional Middle Eastern recipe, I included it to my African recipes for the Zaar World Tour, as it includes couscous and chickpeas and the whole dish certainly tastes Mediterranean.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
couscous and vegetables
- 9 ounces couscous (250g)
- 1 cup boiling vegetable stock (250ml)
- 400 g canned chick-peas (14 1/8 ounces)
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 10 ounces courgettes, sliced on the slant (300g)
- 10 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved (300g)
- 250 g halloumi cheese, thickly sliced, then halved lengthways (1 packet = 8 7/8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup olive oil (125ml)
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1Tip couscous into bowl, pour over boiling stock and stir. Cover and leave for 4-5 minutes.
- 2Mix dressing ingredients together.
- 3Fluff up the couscous with a fork, stir in the chickpeas and half of the dressing. Pile on a large serving dish.
- 4Heat oil in a griddle pan or a large frying pan. Fry the courgette slices over high heat for 2-3 mins until dark golden. Drain on kitchen paper and season with salt and pepper. Put the tomatoes, cut sized down, into the pan and cook for 2 minutes until tinged brown underneath. Remove from the pan and season with salt and pepper. Top the couscous with courgettes, then the tomatoes.
- 5If the pan is dry, pour in a little more oil, heat it up and add the halloumi. Fry for 2-3 mins, turning until crisp and sizzled brown. Pile on top of the tomatoes and pour over the remaining dressing. Garnish with mint leaves.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Summer Couscous Salad
Serving Size: 1 (353 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 660.4
- Calories from Fat 290
- Total Fat 32.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 318.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.5 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 14.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: