Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
The clams can be substituted with mussels if you like them. This is believe it or not a dish served cold. So read the recipe. Don't let all of the steps scare you it's an easy recipe.
- 2 lbs small clams (tiny manilas or larger littleneck clams)
- 2 quarts cold water
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons onions, Minced
- 1 garlic clove, Minced
- 1 large vine ripened tomatoes, cored, seeded, chopped
- 3 teaspoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon commercial balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 2 bunches arugula or 2 bunches romaine leaves, for garnish
- Rid clams of any sand by first scrubbing them under cold running water.
- Then put them in a bowl, cover with the cold water, and sprinkle with the salt.
- Refrigerate no longer then 30 minutes.
- Drain and rinse.
- Heat the oil in a 5-quart pot over medium.
- Sauce the onion 5 to 8 minutes or until golden brown. Stir in the garlic and cook another minute.
- Add the clams to the pot, cover securely and steam 8 minutes, or until the shells are open about an inch.
- Steam any clams that have not opened 1 more minute. If still unopened, discard.
- Keep the liquid simmering while you lift the clams onto a platter.
- Add the tomato and basil to the pot, cook for a few seconds.
- Remove the sauce from the heat.
- Stir in one tablespoon of the balsamic vinegar, and salt and pepper the sauce to taste.
- Here you have two choices. You can serve the clams hot or you can continue to follow the recipe to serve the clams room temperature.
- If you choose to continue let the clams and sauce cool to room temperature. Transfer the sauce to a sealed container. If desired, remove some of the top shells from the clams.
- Ass any liquid from the platter holding the clams to the container with the sauce.
- Tightly cover the clams and refrigerate separately.
- Take the sauce out of the refrigerator about 30 minutes before serving.
- 10 minutes before serving remove the clams from the refrigerator and arrange them on individual plates.
- Taste the sauce for seasoning, stirring in the remaining vinegar if desired. spoon the sauce over the clams arrange clusters of greens on each plate and serve.