1/1 Photo of Summer Camp Gorp
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
I used to work in the kitchen of a summer camp back in the day and we would always make this recipe for the kids at snack time and set some out for breakfast. During the breakfast hours I would see some kids pour milk over it and have it as a kind of makeshift cereal. Of course we would make this in tremendous quantities so I've had to do some math and lessen the ingredient amounts needed. So just a quick tip: if you decide to double this recipe, please use 3 large eggs instead of 4 small eggs. Also keep an eye on the oats as they're cooking, as all ovens are different, so they don't burn.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 small eggs
- 9 cups uncooked oats
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Beat butter, brown sugar, and honey until fluffy.
- 3Beat in eggs & vanilla
- 4Add oats and mix until well combined.
- 5Spread mixture thin onto lightly greased cookie sheet(s).
- 6Bake 15 minutes and then ,with a spatula, turn the oats a little so the bottom does not burn.
- 7Bake another 10-15 minutes or until oats are golden brown.
- 8Let oats cool at least 1 hour and then break into desired chunk sizes.
- 9Add desired amount of mix-ins and blend.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Summer Camp Gorp
Serving Size: 1 (80 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 373.7
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 33.3 mg
- Sodium 65.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 19.0 g
- Protein 10.3 g