Recipe by Celeste :)
Speed up prep time by substituting 1/4 to 1/3 cup of organic bottled Italian dressing or balsamic vinaigrette for the from-scratch directions below.
- 3 cups multigrain bread (cut into 1 in. cubes)
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped tomatoes (2 to 3 medium)
- 1⁄2 of a medium red onion (cut into thin wedges & separated)
- 1⁄4 cup snipped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups torn romaine lettuce hearts
- shards fresh parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300*. Dry bread cubes by spreading in a shallow baking pan. Bake cubes, uncovered, for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring once or twice, until dry but not toasted.
- In a large bowl toss together dried bread cubes, tomatoes, onion and basil; set aside.
- For the dressing, in a screw-top jar combine vinegar, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Cover and shake well. Pour the dressing over the bread mixture; toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Place romaine on a serving dish or six salad plates. Spoon bread mixture over romaine. If desired, garnish with shards of Parmesan cheese.