Recipe by auntchelle
This is a rustic salad based on the Tuscan salad which uses crusty leftover bread. Using char-grilled capsicum, this is a little different to other recipes. Great as a light meal or as a side dish. I omit the anchovies. (Australian measurements used.)
- 2 red capsicums
- 2 yellow peppers
- 6 tomatoes, cut into large chunks (Roma or egg)
- 100 g capers, drained
- 100 g anchovies, halved (optional)
- 100 g black olives, pitted
- 150 g bocconcini, halved
- 1 loaf Italian bread (wood-fired is best)
- 2 cups basil leaves
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 60 ml red wine vinegar
- 125 ml extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut capsicums into large pieces, removing membrane and seeds. Put under a hot grill, skin side up, until the skin blackens and blisters. Place in a plastic bag to cool, then peel away the skin. Cut into 1cm thick strips.
- Put prepared capsicum, tomato, capers, anchovies (if using), olives and bocconcini in a bowl and toss to combine.
- Dressing: Put all ingredients into a screw top jar and shake to combine.
- Cut (or tear) the bread into large pieces and place in a serving bowl. Drizzle the dressing over the bread and, using clean hands, mix to thoroughly coat the bread. Add the capsicum mixture together with the basil leaves. Gently toss.