This is a modified version of Ina Garten's Summer borscht that I found on foodtv.com. I have replaced whole fat sour cream and yogurt, with low fat. I also made it with 3 beets instead of 5, and prepared them in a pressure cooker. I eliminated the sugar from 1/4 cup, to 2 tablespoons. For flavor and texture, I added sauteed onion and carrots. And for authenticity, I prepared it with beef broth. Last, I increased the amount of beet liquid used, thus increasing the portion size.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 large beets
- 709.77 ml water (plus additional to cover beets when boiling)
- kosher salt
- 354.88 ml beef stock
- 453.59 g reduced-fat sour cream
- 118.29 ml low-fat plain yogurt
- 29.58 ml fresh lemon juice
- 9.85 ml champagne vinegar
- 7.39 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large seedless cucumber
- 4 scallions, white and green parts, chopped
- 29.58 ml fresh dill, plus extra for serving, chopped
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 14.79 ml butter
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1Place the beets in a pressure cooker and cover with water.
- 2Cook until the beets are tender, about 18 minutes.
- 3Remove the beets and cool. Once cooled, peel the beets and dice .
- 4Cool and retain the cooking liquid. Strain the cooking liquid.
- 5Melt butter in a saute pan with the olive oil. Add the carrots and one onion, and saute until onion is soft. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- 6In a large bowl, whisk together 3 cups of the beet cooking liquid, the beef stock, sour cream, yogurt, sugar, vinegar, 1 tablespoon salt, and the pepper.
- 7Add the diced beets, cucumber, scallions, onion, carrots, and dill to the soup.
- 8Cover and chill for at least 4 hours.
- 9Season to taste, and serve cold, possibly with a dollop of sour cream and an extra sprig of dill.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Summer Borscht (Lower Fat)
Serving Size: 1 (245 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 122.6
- Calories from Fat 74
- Total Fat 8.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 21.2 mg
- Sodium 174.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 3.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: