Recipe by Tish
Low-calorie, chilled Russian soup is quick to make with the microwave and food processor. I have not made this recipe which was originally printed in Barbara Kafka's Microwave Gourmet Healthstyle Cookbook. Microwave times are for a 700 watt microwave oven. Time does not include 4 hour refrigeration time. (Adopted recipe)
Top Review by Zilla
I made several changes to the recipe. I used one 15oz can of beets, drained. I used fat free cottage cheese instead of ricotta. I added only 2T vinegar and the juice from about 1/4 lemon. I did not add any sugar or water. The consistancy and sweetness of my version was just right for me without the above. Quite a few changes, but hopefully my version retains the spirit of the original. Very good, very easy to make and looks pretty.
- 1 lb beet, stems trimmed to 2 inches and scrubbed
- 1 cup apple juice (without sugar)
- 7 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 1⁄2 buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup peeled seeded and chopped cucumber
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Place beets in a 3-inch deep glass dish.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Cook at 100% for 12 minutes.
- Prick plastic to release steam.
- Uncover and test beets to see if they are done.
- If not done, cook until tender.
- When beets are cool enough to handle, peel and remove stems.
- Place in food processor.
- Add apple juice and vinegar and puree until smooth.
- Remove all but 1/4 cup of the mixture and put in large bowl.
- Add ricotta to mixture (still in food processor) and blend until smooth.
- Whisk into puree and add lemon juice, buttermilk, sugar, salt and enough water to thin soup to desired consistency.
- Chill well approx 4 hours.
- Divide onion and cucumber among and put into 4 serving bowls.
- Ladle soup over and sprinkle dill on top.