1/1 Photo of Summer Blueberry Tart
Perfect in the summer, or use frozen blueberries in the winter. Posted for Zaar World Tour. Recipe source is Moosewood.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Sweet Pastry Crust
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 -2 tablespoon cold water
- 5 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in 2 Tbsp water
- 1/2 pint heavy cream, whipped (optional)
- 1For the pastry crust: Stir the flour and sugar together in a mixing bowl.
- 2Cut the chilled butter into small pieces and drop then into the flour.
- 3With your fingers, quickly rub the butter into the flour until it becomes crumbly, or cut in with a pastry cutter.
- 4Whisk together the egg yolk, lemon juice and 1 Tbsp water.
- 5Sprinkle the liquid over the crust mixture and continue to mix with your fingers until a dough ball forms. Be careful not to overwork the dough.
- 6If mixture is too dry, add up to one more tablespoon of water.
- 7On a floured board with a floured rolling pin, roll out dough into large circle.
- 8Gently lift into a 9-10 inch pie plate or tart tin.
- 9Trim the edges, patch any holes, and flute the crust.
- 10Chill for 2 hours.
- 11Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 12Place a sheet of aluminum foil in the bottom of the crust and weigh it down with some dry rice or beans.
- 13Bake for 15 minutes.
- 14Remove the crust from the oven and carefully lift out the foil and beans or rice.
- 15Bake for 5 more minutes; then cool.
- 16To make the filling, heat 2 cups blueberries, 2 Tbsp water and the sugar in a small saucepan.
- 17Crush a few berries with a spoon to relese some juice.
- 18When the berries have softened and become juicy, add the cornstarch mixture.
- 19Simmer on low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mixture thickens.
- 20Remove from the heat and stir in one more cup of blueberries.
- 21Pour the berry mixture in to the pie shell.
- 22Top with the remaining 2 cups of blueberries.
- 23Cool for at least one hour.
- 24Serve plain or topped with fresh whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Summer Blueberry Tart
Serving Size: 1 (181 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 293.5
- Calories from Fat 112
- Total Fat 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 54.1 mg
- Sodium 84.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 20.6 g
- Protein 3.5 g