Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is in no way traditional, and comes from a Hotel du Vin recipe card. I have modified it as they make this in 6 x 6cm diameter ring moulds - which I do not own. I own one 20cm (6 inch) springform tin. This also has no eggs, unless you use eggs in the sponge instead of an egg free sponge/cake recipe for the base. You can use cream cheese in a pinch, but it is not quite the same. You can also use any berries of your choice. Cook time does no include chilling time.
- NOTE: Sponge cake base - I normally make a sponge in the springform tin. I then cut it in half height wise (depending on how high it rises) and use half for this recipe (and freeze the other half).
- Grease springform pan lightly and place sponge in the bottom.
- Lightly soak with half to two-thirds of the Kahlua (I use a brush).
- Beat together mascarpone, icing sugar, cream & the remaining Kahlua. Smooth over the top of the sponge.
- Cover and chill until set (approx 4-8 hours).
- Top evenly with the berries & put back in the fridge so everything is kept cool.
- Dissolve gelatin in water as per pack instructions, then set aside.
- In a pot slowly warm the fruit puree and add the gelatin. Stir until totally dissolved, then leave to cool (you can speed this up by putting it in the fridge, but be careful - you don't want it to set).
- Top the sponge cake/cheese mixture with the puree mixture and refrigerate again until set and stable (approx 2 hours).
- Remove from fridge 15 minutes before serving, then gently remove the springform pan outer (you may need to gently run a knife around the edges).
- Serve with garnish & accompaniment of your choice.
I made this for Christmas lunch and it was a success! I made them in individual dessert cups. I was worried about the sugar thinking it would be too sweet, but it was perfect. Thanks for posting!