Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
One of the recipes of the month - March 2005 - in the BBC Good Food magazine.
- 4 egg yolks
- 60 g caster sugar
- 5 tablespoons Frangelico (hazelnut liqueur)
- 300 g mixed berries, such as raspberries, strawberries and blackberries
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- mint sprig, to garnish
- Place the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl and whisk until pale and thick, using a hand-held electric beater.
- Preheat the grill.
- Add the Frangelico to the egg mixture and place the bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water, making sure the water doesn't touch the base of the bowl.
- Continue whisking for at least 10 minutes, or until the mixture is pale and very foamy. It should have increased in volume dramatically.
- Put the mixed berries into a heatproof serving dish. Spoon the sabayon over the fruit and sprinkle the almonds on top.
- Place under the hot grill for 2-3 minutes, until the almonds and the sabayon colour slightly.
- Decorate with sprigs of mint and serve immediately.
I'm going to use this recipe to try to recreate a dessert we had in Spain, they used Cointreu for the liqueur and put raspberries and a scoop of vanilla ice cream in it.
This was a very different recipe for me. Never heard of a Sabayon before. It was very good, i loved how the eggs got foamy and just a very nice, light, refreshing dessert.