Recipe by Katzen
Courtesy of Homemakers magazine, this gorgeous and delicious struedel-like flaky yeast dough and sweet berry filling make a stunning, yet simple, dessert... or serve it for an upscale brunch. Do use raspberries, blueberries, and raspberries - the plump, juicy, and sweet fruit literally dance on your tongue. Prep time does not include dough rise time (add 2 hours.)
Top Review by Sydney Mike
OUTSTANDING! We absolutely enjoyed the combo of FRESH berries in this recipe & your recipe for the dough is definitely something to keep around! Oh, yeah, & I increased the amount of lemon zest in the dough to a very rounded measure! As I said, I'm KEEPING this recipe on file! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe]
- 1 cup almonds, ground
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 cups berries (blackberries, blueberries, raspberries)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk or 1 tablespoon whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar, coarse
- 3⁄4 cup milk, warm
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cardamom, ground
- 1 cup butter, chilled, cubed
Directions See How It's Made
- Sweet Dough:.
- Sprinkle milk with yeast and let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes; whisk in egg yolks. In food processor, pulse together flour, sugar, lemon rind, salt, and cardamom; pulse in butter until in pea sized clumps. Add milk mixture and pulse just until dough holds together.
- With floured hands on a floured surface, lightly knead a few turns (adding a little more flour only if dough is sticking to work surface) until in a soft, ball. Place in buttered (or Pam'd) bowl, turning to coat, and cover with plastic wrap; let rise at room temperature until doubled in volume, about 90 minutes.
- Lightly push down dough. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough into a 12 x 14" (30 x 35 cm) rectangle. Transfer to parchment paper-lined or buttered baking sheet.
- Mix almonds and 2 tbsp sugar; spread lengthwise, about 4 inches (10 cm) wide, down centre of rectangle.
- Stir together berries, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice; spoon evenly over almonds.
- Fold one long edge of dough up over filling; covering berries; lightly brush with water. Fold second long edge of dough over first, pinching along edge to seal seam. Cover with plastic wrap and tea towel; let rise for 30 minutes. Whisk egg & milk (or cream) together; brush top with mixture. With scissors or razor blade, cut about ten 2" (5 cm) diagonal slashes along centre, through to filling. Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake in centre of 350 degree oven until top is golden and filling is bubbling, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool on pan on rack.