Recipe by Hidesome
This recipe is from a British cookbook called First Meals. I made it a little healthier by substituting whole wheat flour for white and applesauce for oil. I also used frozen berry mix for the fresh berries and it worked out fine, but I left the fresh berries in the recipe.
- 185 g whole wheat flour
- 150 g brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 80 ml applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 80 ml milk
- 100 g fresh raspberries
- 75 g blueberries
- 65 g chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon demerara sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 F and line a muffin pan with muffin papers.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, salt and baking powder and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the applesauce, egg, vanilla and milk.
- Add the mixed dry ingredients and stir until blended.
- Gently fold in the berries and chocolate.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin papers and sprinkle with demerara sugar.
- Bake for about 25 minutes until risen and just firm. Allow to cool a little, then transfer to a wire cooling rack.