Prep 40 mins
Cook 2 hrs
We served these to some friends who had come from Argentina and we found out they were coming to visit during the "merienda" roughly translated "tea time". So we were busy making tea sandwiches and pastries(it would have been a lot easier to get it at the bakery "Bon Bon"just a block away and ready made!!!) However, I am known for toughing it out! So, we made these with the merenguitos we always have -- ours are much smaller and we made it that way. However, I posted the recipe as is. BBCGoodFood.com.
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 5 1⁄4 ounces caster sugar
THE RIPPLED CREAM
- 6 3⁄4 ounces creme fraiche or 6 3⁄4 ounces sour cream
- 6 3⁄4 ounces plain yogurt
- 10 5⁄8 ounces strawberries, hulled and cleaned
- 8 7⁄8 ounces raspberries
- 1 bunch mint leaf, stripped and finely chopped (1 small bunch)
- 1 piece fresh gingerroot, grated (1 small knob)
- 5 tablespoons icing sugar (you may not need any at all)
- 9 sprigs of fresh mint
- icing sugar, to decorate
- Heat oven to 230ºF.
- Place the egg whites and lemon juice into the clean bowl of a food mixer.
- Whisk until the whites double in volume and hold a peak when the whisk is drawn through them.
- Keep the whisk running and add the sugar a tbsp at a time, incorporating completely before adding the next.
- Whisk until all the sugar has been added and the whites are glossy.
- Place a square of baking parchment on a large baking sheet.
- Pencil nine circles, about 2-3/4" each, onto the parchment.
- Spoon the meringue into a large piping bag fitted with a plain nozzle and pipe concentric rounds to fit each drawn circle, piping two or more rings around the edge to form a nest.
- Bake for 2 hrs until they are crisp and lift off the paper easily. Leave to cool completely.
- Whisk the crème fraîche until stiff, then fold in the yogurt.
- Set 2 strawberries and 9 raspberries aside and roughly chop the rest.
- Pour the chopped berries, mint and ginger into a bowl.
- Sprinkle with a little icing sugar and use a wooden spoon to mash to a rough purée.
- Gently fold the berries into the yogurt mix, adding icing sugar to taste.
- To assemble, cut the remaining strawberries into 9 slices and place a slice inside each meringue case.
- Generously share the rippled cream between the cases, then top with a raspberry and a mint sprig.
- Dust with a little icing sugar just before serving. ( Meringues keep in an airtight container for 2 days.).