Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Mmmm berries stewed with vanilla and sugar, topped with steamed dumplings. A traditional dessert in the New England area and one of my favorite. I like this combination, but you can use any berries you like, and regular sugar if you don't have vanilla sugar.
- 1 pint fresh raspberry
- 1 pint fresh blackberries
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon triple sec (optional) or 1 tablespoon Cointreau liqueur (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup vanilla sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons vanilla sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- homemade whipped cream (optional)
- In a large skillet, combine the berries, water and 1/3 cup vanilla sugar. Set the skillet over medium-high heat and bring it to a simmer.
- While the berries are cooking, combine flour, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar in a medium bowl. Mix with a fork to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk and vanilla and add to dry ingredients. Mix together with a fork until dry mixture comes together in a soft dough.
- Drop the dough by heaping spoonfuls onto simmering berries, making 8 dumplings. Cover pan and cook 10 minutes, until dumplings are puffed up and cooked through.
This recipe is a real winner. The triple sec adds a different little taste to a recipe that was already kinda like one I have used for years, so thanks for the new twist you have given me!!
This was so easy and tasted really good. I used strawberries instead of the other berries and orange juice concentrate instead of triple sec. I like the dumplings but do wish there were more berries and sauce. I will either double that next time or reduce the dumpling mixture by half. This would also make a great dessert or breakfast while out camping.
This is really great - although to be honest - I didn't see much point to the dumplings, so I'm going to say in my opinion the dumplings should be optional. I had berries left over and made a 2nd batch without the dumplings and I like it much better because: the dumplings soak up a lot of the sweet goodness from the berries and makes the flavor less intense. Being as Blackberries, Raspberries and blueberries are my favorite fruits - I want maximum berry flavor. Otherwise, following the recipe as is, is very simple and comes out very good. For those crazy berry people like me - you might want to leave out the dumplngs and just go with the vanilla and whipped cream. Thank you for sharing MarraMamba!!!!!