Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
This recipe is from Eat This Book by Tyler Florence. Tyler came up with this recipe while strolling through the Union Square Greenmarket in New York City and he came across some really cool summer beans -- yellow wax beans and haricots verts. He put together a simple vinaigrette of lemon juice, mustard, and creme fraiche.
- 453.59 g mixed summer beans, such as sugar snap peas, haricots verts or 453.59 g green beans, yellow wax beans or 453.59 g runner beans, stems trimmed
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 118.29 ml walnut halves, and pieces toasted
- 1 handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 14.79 ml grainy mustard
- 14.79 ml hot water
- 2.46 ml sugar
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 78.07 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 59.14 ml creme fraiche or 59.14 ml sour cream
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add all of the beans and cook until crisp-tender, 3 to 5 minutes (they'll all be done at roughly the same time). Drain, transfer to a bowl of salted ice water to stop the cooking, and drain well. Transfer to a mixing bowl and toss int he shallots, walnuts, and parsley.
- In a jar, combine the mustard, water, sugar, lemon juice, oil, creme fraiche, salt, and pepper. Put the cap on and shake vigorously to emulsify. Just before you serve the salad, pour the dressing over the beans and toss well to coat with the dressing.
Love this light and refreshing bean salad ! I used green beans as that was all I could find at the farmers market, but they came out wonderfully. I made the sour cream version, and it was very tasty. This is wonderful with grilled salmon and I'm sure would be great with other grilled meats. Thanks for posting - made for Spring PAC 2012.