Prep 45 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This potato salad is a blend of flavors Italian and Mexican. The black olive tapenade can be found in most stores near pickles and mustard—if you can’t find it, there are quite a lot of recipes here on recipezaar to make your own. It’s easy. The chipotles and adobo and cumin give this salad a nice “kick” and lets it stand out from so many other potato salads. If cooking for kids, you may want to add only 1 chipotle to start.You may not want to add any salt until tasting—the black olives, chiles, and tomatoes have quite a lot of sodium. Cooking time is mostly the 3 hours you must chill the potato salad.
- 5 lbs new potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup green onion
- 1 cup frozen green pea
- 3 eggs
- 7 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1 cup ranch dressing
- 1⁄2 cup black olive tapenade
- 1⁄2 cup diced canned tomato
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 dash pepper
- Scrub new potatoes in sink.
- In a large pot, place new potatoes and cover with water. Add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. (You don’t have to peel new potatoes unless you want to. Their skin has a lot of nutrients.).
- Boil for about 15-18 minutes until a fork can be inserted into the potatoes, but the potatoes are not mushy. Remove from heat.
- Drain water and add cool water to pan. Let potatoes cool completely before handling.
- In a smaller pot, add 3 eggs with water to cover. Add pinch of salt and 1 T vinegar. Bring to a boil.
- Boil eggs about 12 minutes. Drain water and cover eggs with cold water. Let rest until cooled.
- Meanwhile, fry the bacon until crisp.
- Remove peas from freezer and microwave on high in a microwave-safe dish with 1 T water. It should take less than 3 minutes to thaw them.
- Dice potatoes and place them to a large mixing bowl. Peel and rinse eggs off. Dice and add to the bowl.
- Chop cilantro and green onions and add to the bowl.
- Add green peas. Chop bacon and add it.
- For the dressing:
- Dice chipotles, dice canned tomatoes.
- In a small mixing bowl add all remaining dressing ingredients and mix.
- Pour over the potato salad and mix until combined.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours (better if left overnight).
This was one of my favorite Craze-E contest recipes & I made it twice. At first bite I thought the cilantro was overpowering. However after waiting for the required chill time, the salad had mellowed beautifully & I will be making the recipe again & again! My one mistake & it was mine was that I used a smoked applewood bacon. Next time I will use regular as it almost added too much to the salad. The dressing adds color & a complexity to the salad. Everything there adds to the whole experience. I whizzed it all together in a mini chopper, but left it slightly chunky. I did not add additional salt & found with the bacon & olive tapenade that we didn't need it. I omitted the peas. This was an excellent use of contest ingredients!