Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Martha Stewart. Great for dipping summer veggies, crackers, rustic bread.
- whole milk, for soaking
- 2 ounces anchovy fillets
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Put milk into a shallow bowl. Add anchovy fillets; soak 10 minutes. Drain on paper towels, pat dry. Coarsely chop.
- Put 1/4 cup oil and the garlic into a small saucepan over low heat. Cook until garlic softens but does not brown, about 5 minutes. Add anchovies. Cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute. Add butter. Cook, whisking, until butter has melted.
- Remove from heat. WHisk in the remaiing 1/4 cup olive oil in a slow steady stream until mixture thickens and comes together. If the mixture separates at any time, add 2 ice cuses, and whisk until mixture comes together, remove partially melted ice cubes.
- Whisk in lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.