Recipe by evelyn/athens
I make up this salad just about every weekend. Not only is it fresh-tasting and nutritious, but it gets even better with each passing day (in the fridge). I guess I could call this our 'Summer Addiction'.
Top Review by chia
this made a nice lunch for us today, and i have plenty left for lunch tomorrow. i used 1 can of black beans , 1 can of corn, and i added some fresh chopped chives. this is a nice basic dish and i could see adding zucchini, tomatoes, mushrooms or any other fresh veggies you have in your fridge
- 1 lb vary-coloured pasta shells (I get the imported Italian stuff as the colours stay brighter and prettier after cooking)
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 2 (11 ounce) cans canned corn niblets, drained
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna packed in oil, one drained, the other not
- 1 red pepper, chopped into small pieces
- 1 green pepper, chopped into small pieces
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped into small pieces
- 1 red onion, minced
- 10 gherkins, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise (I always use Hellman's)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the pasta until al dente.
- Drain and run under cold water.
- Drain well.
- In a large bowl, combine pasta with kidney beans, corn, tuna (including the oil in one tin), onion, peppers and gherkins.
- Combine all dressing ingredients and pour over pasta.
- Toss to coat and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving to cool and blend flavours.
- This is great even 2-3 days after making!