Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 hrs
Homemade summer sausage...good for snacks with crackers and cheese.
- 4 lbs hamburger
- 1⁄4 cup Morton Tender Quick salt
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate for 3 days and knead each day.
- Roll into logs and bake at 150 F for 15 hours.
What a sense of accomplishment! It worked just fine - the only hangup was finding the "Tender quick salt." I love being able to control what goes into it. Next time I will use a coarser grind of meat, but that is personal preference, and I will probably start experimenting with spices and herbs. This has wonderful potential! Thanks so much!