Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I have not tried this recipe as yet. I saw it in the newspaper and decided to post it here.I have finaly got down to trying this recipe and I have to agree with the other reviwers these wedges are rather bland as is. I have amended the quanities of the spices.
- 5 medium potatoes
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons sumaq
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- preheat oven to 195°C.
- Grease an oven tray well with vegetable oil.
- Wash and cut potatoes into wedges (do not peel potatoes).
- Combine egg white and spices into a large bowl. Mix well.
- Add potatoes and coat well.
- Bake potatoes skin side down for 40 minutes or until tender and golden brown.
- Serve with a relish or as a side.
These wedges definitely had eye-appeal. That's why it was surprising that this dish was so... non-stellar. I think if I ever make these again, I'll probably leave out the sumac (strange tasting); increase the amount of chili, throw in the tiniest pinch of salt, and most certainly add a quick shake of cayenne pepper. -- posted Nov 13, 2005
I was a bit disappointed that these were a bit bland. I think the spices need to be doubled or even tripled for a fuller flavor. This is a good recipe to start from...it has promise!
The idea behind these is good though I found that I needed to add some butter because after 30 minutes the wedges weren't browning and had an unappetizing egg whitey look about them. They turned out ok after adding the butter and tasted pretty good.