Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a refreshing and healthy summer treat from Heather Van Vorous. If salmonella is a concern in your area, use the Egg Beaters. Cook time equals time to chill.
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 cups pitted diced, fresh very ripe mangoes (about 4 large mangoes)
- 2 organic egg whites or 1⁄4 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute
- In a small saucepan or a microwave-safe bowl, make a simple syrup by combining water and sugar, stirring, and heating until sugar dissolves.
- Chill (I do this for at least an hour).
- Combine syrup with remaining ingredients in blender. Blend on high until well mixed.
- Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
update- i made this again yesterday using 1 c of water and it worked out much better. i kept all the other ingredients the same and used eggbeaters. the mangoes were ripe and this was very sweet and refreshing.3/10 former review: ( i'm not going to rate this recipe, it didn't really work for me. i did go buy a new ice cream maker and all for this, but after following the instructions and using the ice cream maker for the max of 30 minutes, this had the consistency of a slushie. i did put it into the freezer, but them it got too frozen to eat. when i tried to defrost and remix it the next day it was like a slushie again. i checked some other recipes, including the one that came with the cuisinart ice cream maker that i purchased, and it recommends 1/2 c of liquid, instead of 2. sorry this didn't work for me, i usually enjoy your recipes/ — Mar 4, 2006)