Prep 2 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
This is a very interesting fusion of International cuisines from the Mediterranean to China. Just imagine eating spicy Turkish Kebabs drizzled with a Greek Tzatziki Yogurt Sauce and over a bed of Chinese Yangzhou Vegetable Fried Rice. Is your "Mouth Watering" from the thought of tasting the tangy yogurt! Try this delicious recipe. You and your family will love it!
BROWN RICE INGREDIENTS
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice (Long Grain American Basmati Rice, Texmati brand or equivalent)
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
TURKISH KEBAB INGREDIENTS
- 1 lb fresh lean ground turkey
- 1 -2 egg (substitute 2 Egg Beaters or equivalent brand, 1/4-1/2 cup liquid)
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onions
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil (or more if grilling, using a broiler)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil (or more if frying)
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (or 2 tbspns dry parsley)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne (red pepper, chili powder)
TZATSIKI YOGURT SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup creamy yogurt (not non-fat free content yogurt)
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons tahini paste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves (put through a garlic press)
YANGZHOU VEGETABLE FRIED RICE INGREDIENTS
- 2 -3 cups cooked brown rice, cold
- 2 eggs (substitute 2 Egg Beaters or equivalent brand, 1/4-1/2 cup liquid)
- 2 spring scallions, cleaned and cut into small pieces
- 1⁄4 cup zucchini, chopped up
- 1⁄4 cup squash, chopped up
- 1⁄4 cup fresh pea pods, cut up into pieces
- 7 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped up
- 1⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- BROWN RICE INSTRUCTIONS:.
- Put all ingredients in a large pot; Bring to a boil, stir one time and cover with a tightly fitting cover, including aluminum foil; Reduce heat and cook approximately 60 minutes; Check to make sure the water has not evaporated enough to cause the rice to burn on the bottom; Remove from heat and check to see the rice is firm and not mushy; Separate grains with a fork;Put in a large bowl, cover and place in the refrigerator to cool; (Makes about 4 cups of rice).
- TURKEY KEBAB INSTRUCTIONS:.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of olive oil and balance of ingredients in a large bowl, mix well; Divide into approximately 16-18 oval shaped meatball kebabs (Wet hands with water when forming the kebabs); Place vegetable oil in a pan and fry the meatballs; Or if using a broiler or grill, brush kebabs with olive oil and then cook; It is important to cook the meat thoroughly; Remove and place in a microwave proof dish, cover and place in the refrigerator.
- TZATSIKI YOGURT SAUCE INSTRUCTIONS:.
- Combine all ingredients, mix, place in a bowl, cover and refrigerate a few hours or overnight.
- YANGZHOU VEGETABLE FRIED RICE INSTRUCTIONS:.
- Add a little oil in a frying pan and scramble eggs until done; shred into thin pieces; Set aside; In a wok add 3 or more tablespoons vegetable oil; Add garlic and when it starts to sizzle add the cold rice; Stir fry constantly to coat the rice with the oil about 3-5 minutes; Then add the stock and soy sauce; continue to stir fry about 3-5 minutes.
- Next add, zucchini & squash, pea pods and stir fry a 3 minutes; Next add scallions, shredded eggs, a little more soy sauce to taste, sesame oil and stir fry a few minutes more; Place in a large microwave dish, cover and set aside.
- PUT IT ALL TOGETHER:.
- Step A- Make the Brown Rice.
- Step B- Make Tzatziki Yogurt Sauce.
- Step C- Make the Kebabs.
- Step D- Make the Yangzhou Fried Rice.
- Step E- In a microwave oven heat up the kebabs and keep warm.
- Step F- Using a large platter or individual plates, place the Fried Rice in the center of the plate; Over the rice add the Kebabs and drizzle with the Tzatsiki Sauce.
- Step G- Have a side dish (or individual dishes) of Tzatsiki Sauce.
- Step H- Add some fresh parsley as garnish.
- Note: All components of this recipe can be made in advance and then simply re-heated when ready to serve; Further, you can also add some green & red peppers to the kebabs and/or fried rice if you prefer. Also, a side dish of mixed Mediterranean vegetables and Moong Bean Dahl, would make this a more complete International meal.