Recipe by Acerast
This recipe comes from the New Zealand Herald. It is by Amanda Laird and looks very homey and delicious! I can't wait to try it!
- 1 cup sultana
- 1 teaspoon earl grey tea (leaves)
- water (to cover the sultanas)
- 250 g butter, softened
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1⁄4 cup crystallized ginger, slivered
- 2 cups icing sugar, sieved (sifted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons butter, softened
- boiling water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Grease or line a 9 x 9 cake tin.
- Put the sultanas in a small saucepan with the tea. Cover with water, bring to a boil then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Drain, then beat in the 250g butter.
- Beat the sugar and eggs until well combined then add the sultana mixture.
- Fold in the flour and crystalized ginger then spoon into the tin and bake for approximately 1 hour or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Make the icing by putting the icing sugar, vanilla, ground ginger and butter in a bowl.
- Mix then slowly pour in enough boiling water to be able to mix the icing to a drizzling consistency.
- Drizzle over the cake.