2 hrs 40 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Tea Girl's Note:
Another recipe from my Facebook friends. It comes from Jo Seagar (A heritage recipe from New Zealand's baking archives “Chelsea Best Ever”, 2001)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 180°C
- 2Place sultanas in a saucepan and just cover with water.
- 3Bring to the boil then simmer for 5 minutes. Drain and cool.
- 4Mix butter and sugar until light and fluffy, add lemon juice, grated rind and vanilla essence.
- 5Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each egg.
- 6Add the both of flour and milk, then stir in the sultanas and candied peel.
- 7Pour into a well greased 21-23 cm square cake tin with the base lined with baking paper.
- 8Bake for 1 hour then reduce the temperature to 160°C and bake for a further 50-60 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- 9Cool in the tin and store in an airtight container. Fruitcakes like this are best left for 12 hours before slicing.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sultana Cake
Serving Size: 1 (1537 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 5659.3
- Calories from Fat 2011
- Total Fat 223.4 g
- Saturated Fat 134.9 g
- Cholesterol 1100.8 mg
- Sodium 2879.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 890.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 28.6 g
- Sugars 547.8 g
- Protein 71.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
mixed candied peel