Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Another recipe from my Facebook friends. It comes from Jo Seagar (A heritage recipe from New Zealand's baking archives “Chelsea Best Ever”, 2001)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Place sultanas in a saucepan and just cover with water.
- Bring to the boil then simmer for 5 minutes. Drain and cool.
- Mix butter and sugar until light and fluffy, add lemon juice, grated rind and vanilla essence.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each egg.
- Add the both of flour and milk, then stir in the sultanas and candied peel.
- Pour into a well greased 21-23 cm square cake tin with the base lined with baking paper.
- Bake for 1 hour then reduce the temperature to 160°C and bake for a further 50-60 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool in the tin and store in an airtight container. Fruitcakes like this are best left for 12 hours before slicing.