Recipe by martinswench
An excellent alternative to traditional fruit cake for those who do not like peel etc.. Full of sultanas it keeps well and tastes great. This recipe is also easily doubled as shown in the birthday cake photo posted. Makes a lovely formal cake
- 1 lb sultana
- 4 ounces cubed butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour, heaped
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon brandy or 1 tablespoon brandy flavoring
Directions See How It's Made
- Put all sultanas in a large pot and cover with water, boil gently for 5 minutes.
- Strain sultanas in a colander then put sultanas back in pot.
- Add butter, stir and leave to cool.
- beat eggs in with the sugar then add to sultana mix then add essence, 2 large cups plain flour and the baking powder.
- Mix well with wooden spoon till combined.
- Line 9x9in cake tin (or other suitable tin)with greased paper on bottom and sides.
- Bake in 190 celsius oven for 30-45 mins till knife inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Ice with one layer of almond icing and one layer of royal icing and decorate as desired.