Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
A traditional New Year Scottish cake. To make cherry bun,replace the sultanas with 1 pound of halved and washed(then dried on a tea-towel)glace cherries.
- 2 ounces self-raising flour
- 8 ounces margarine
- 6 eggs
- 12 ounces plain flour
- 8 ounces caster sugar
- 1 lb sultana
- Cream the margarine and sugar.Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Sift the two flours and mix with the sultanas.(This will prevent the sultanas from sinking to the bottom of the cake mix).
- Add to the mixture and stir until smooth.
- Grease a 6 inch square cake tin and line with greaseproof paper.Grease this and coat with plain flour.
- Pour in the cake mixture and spread evenly.
- Line the outside of the tin with brown paper and tie with string.Put a brown paper lid on top(with holes cut in to allow steam to escape).This will prevent the cake from burning.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven,325deg F.,for 2.5 - 3 hours,until a skewer comes out clean.An experienced cook can listen to the cake and it will tell you when it is done(no gurgling sound).
- Once cooked,leave in the tin for 5 minutes before cooling on a wire rack.
- Cut into slices and serve.