Recipe by Member #610488
This recipe is supposed to be a personal recipe of Andrew Zimmern, host of the TV show Bizarre Foods.
- 2 lbs jumbo ocean-caught shrimp
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 4 cups peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons oil, reserved from the 4 cups
- 12 scallions, cut in 2-inch lengths
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 dried red chilies
Roadside Dipping Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup shallot, thinly shaved
- 1⁄4 cup serrano pepper, thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons chinese rice wine or 3 tablespoons sake
- 3 tablespoons sugar (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Butterfly and devein the shrimp, leaving tail and shell attached. Toss with kosher salt and let sit for 15 minutes refrigerated. Press gently in a dry towel to remove moisture.
- Mix dipping sauce ingredients together and set aside.
- Heat peanut oil to 375 degrees F over high heat in a large wok. Dip shrimp in egg whites, then dredge in cornstarch. Shake shrimp free of cornstarch and fry till crispy in several batches.
- Carefully top off the oil, leaving 2 tbsp behind, and increase the heat to high under the wok. When the oil starts smoking, add the scallions and chilies; toss quickly; then add shrimp.
- Toss to coat, adding the sea salt, pepper and sugar as you rotate the food across the wok surface. Toss and serve with dipping sauce.