Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
Another version of Sukuma Wiki, more complicated than the other one I've posted, but it's tastier and the one which I make the most. You can also add left over cooked meat, if you want to. Eat with Ugali (listed seperately) for a real Kenyan meal. I got this recipe from www.congocookbook.com, so many thanks to them.
- 2 lbs kale or 2 lbs collard greens or 2 lbs spinach, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 lemon, juice of
- oil (for frying)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 -3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 chili pepper, chopped (optional)
- cayenne pepper or red pepper
- Bring two cups of water to a boil in a large pot. Put greens in pot. Cover and steam until greens are nearly tender.
- While greens are cooking: combine flour, lemon juice, and a few spoonfuls of water in a small bowl or cup. Stir vigorously until mixture is smooth.
- Remove greens from heat and drain.
- Heat oil in a separate pan. Saute the onion, tomatoes, and hot pepper together.
- Add spices to taste.
- Add flour-lemon juice mixture and stir until smooth.
- Reduce heat. Add drained greens. Cover and simmer over low heat until greens are fully tender and sauce is thickened.
Used collared greens, turned out great. Easy and quick, will use again. Thanks for the recipe.