Recipe by Chef UK
Another version of Sukuma Wiki, more complicated than the other one I've posted, but it's tastier and the one which I make the most. You can also add left over cooked meat, if you want to. Eat with Ugali (listed seperately) for a real Kenyan meal. I got this recipe from www.congocookbook.com, so many thanks to them.
- 2 lbs kale or 2 lbs collard greens or 2 lbs spinach, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 lemon, juice of
- oil (for frying)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 -3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 chili pepper, chopped (optional)
- cayenne pepper or red pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring two cups of water to a boil in a large pot. Put greens in pot. Cover and steam until greens are nearly tender.
- While greens are cooking: combine flour, lemon juice, and a few spoonfuls of water in a small bowl or cup. Stir vigorously until mixture is smooth.
- Remove greens from heat and drain.
- Heat oil in a separate pan. Saute the onion, tomatoes, and hot pepper together.
- Add spices to taste.
- Add flour-lemon juice mixture and stir until smooth.
- Reduce heat. Add drained greens. Cover and simmer over low heat until greens are fully tender and sauce is thickened.