Recipe by Manami
Nice and real easy traditional Japanese Style food! These bowls can be of the Ziplock type or other freezer bowls and can be used as a meal for new neighbors, a sick friend or just for you. I found this on landolakes.com. Update 01/07/2008 I remade this and used peapods with less bamboo shoots, sliced red pepper strips with less water chestnuts, increased the garlic to 1 tsp, increased the green onions to 1/3-1/2 cup, and some crushed red pepper flakes, for that extra zing! Just a thought!
Top Review by Ty's Kitchen
Really liked this recipe but felt it was missing something - it tasted a little flat to me. Ate 1/2 and the other 1/2 are in the freezer, waiting for the next busy day. Will make again but will play with it!
- 29.58 ml butter or 29.58 ml margarine or 29.58 ml olive oil
- 680.38 g beef sirloin steaks, cut into thin strips
- 473.18 ml water
- 78.07 ml low sodium soy sauce
- 226.79 g package sliced mushrooms
- 226.79 g can bamboo shoots, drained
- 226.79 g can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 354.88 ml fresh bean sprouts
- 59.14 ml sliced green onion
- 29.58 ml sugar or 29.58 ml sugar substitute
- 2.46 ml finely chopped garlic
- 59.14 ml water
- 19.71 ml cornstarch
- 1419.54 ml fluffy cooked white rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in 4 quart saucepan until sizzling; add half of steak strips.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove meat with slotted spoon.
- Set aside.
- Cook remaining steak strips.
- Return all meat to saucepan.
- Add all remaining ingredients except 1/4 cup water, cornstarch and rice.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a boil, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cook until flavors are melded and mushrooms are tender, about 5-6 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high.
- Combine 1/4 cup water and cornstarch in small bowl.
- Stir into steak mixture; continue cooking until mixture comes to a boil.
- Cook 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; let stand to cool 15 minutes.
- Divide rice among 8 microwave-safe resealable plastic food bowls; evenly divide steak and broth mixture over rice.
- Cover; freeze until serving time.
- *Tip: uncooked long or medium grain rice usually triples when cooked. For 6 cups cooked rice, start with 2 cups uncooked rice.
- **Tip: to reheat, loosley cover bowl; microwave on MEDIUM-HIGH(70%) power 4-5 minutes or until heated through.