Cheri 911's Note:
Easy and delicious interpretation of traditional Sukiyaki - no raw eggs in this one. Ingredients and amounts are very malleable; feel free to add or subtract, I would just recommend keeping the liquid ingredients the same! I've written angel hair for the pasta, but if you have cellophane noodles, those are good too! I've even used leftover rotisserie chick in place of beef.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb angel hair pasta
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 lb well-marbled beef, sliced very thin
- 10 green onions, sliced diagonally into 1-inch sections
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 1/2 lb firm tofu, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 lb napa cabbage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 lb mushroom, quartered
- 1/2 lb spinach, washed and stemmed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1Cook pasta al dente and set aside.
- 2Heat a large, non-stick frying pan to moderately high heat. Add the oil, and sprinkle sugar into the pan. let sit until sugar turns light brown; about a minute.
- 3Add the beef in batches, turning once, cook quickly til just done. Do not crowd the pan. This should be maybe four batches, depending on your skillet and flame. The sugar should glaze the beef. If the pan gets too hot, the sugar will burn, turn it down a bit if needed. Set cooked beef aside.
- 4Add green onions to the pan and cook until browned a bit.
- 5In your pasta cooking pot, combine pasta, beef, veggies except spinach, liquid ingredients, and tofu. (I deglaze the skillet used for beef and scallions with the liquid quickly before adding it to the pot - so much flavor!)
- 6Simmer until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 2-3 minutes, then add spinach for just 30 seconds to wilt.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sukiyaki
Serving Size: 1 (545 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1249.8
- Calories from Fat 852
- Total Fat 94.7 g
- Saturated Fat 35.5 g
- Cholesterol 112.3 mg
- Sodium 2921.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 17.9 g
- Protein 31.3 g