Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
I don't know how long it takes to cook this.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sirloin steaks, cut in thin strips
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup water or 1⁄4 cup mushroom stock
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced in thin strips
- 1 cup celery, cut in 1 ½ inch strips
- 1 can bamboo shoot, sliced thin
- 1 bunch green onion, cut in 1 inch lengths,including the tops
- Heat oil in skillet, add beef and lightly brown.
- Mix sugar, soy sauce and mushroom stock.
- Cook half of this with the beef.
- Push beef to one side of the pan and add sliced onions, green peppers and celery.
- Cook for 5 minutes and add remaining soy sauce mixture and bamboo shoots.
- Cook 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add green onions.
- Cook 1 minute more and stir well.
- Serve immediately over hot rice.
A friend of mine's mom used to make this all the time when I was a kid. I never knew how to make it until now. I have made it 3 or 4 times in the last couple of months and it is great. The last time, I used flank steak and it was super delicious. Thanks for posting this.
I made this for a bunch of friends and they loved it! Now they won't leave though haha. I substituted sake for the water and yoshido's brown sauce instead of soy sauce. It was fabulous! I highly recommend using sake instead of water. It gives it a great flavor!
This was wonderful. I did add chinese cabbage and some tofu because that was how our foreign exchange student, Shinichi, made it. It brought back memories!