Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Either chicken or beef will make excellent Sukiyaki. If beef is used, cut thin slices of steak into strips (This is one of my favorite Oriental recipes)
- 2 (2 lb) raw chicken
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons salad oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup soya sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sake or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 8 green onions, cut in 2 inch lengths
- 1 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced celery
- 1 (10 ounce) cansliced drained mushrooms
- 1 cup thinly sliced bamboo shoot
- Cut chicken meat into 1/2 inch wide strips.
- Lightly brown meat and chopped onions in salad oil in a frying pan.
- Add sugar, water, soya sauce and sake (or sherry) and the rest of the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil quickly and cook uncovered about 10 minutes stirring occasionally until vegetables are crispy tender.
- If desired, serve with bowls of hot rice.