Prep 20 mins
Cook 22 mins
Taken from Love Italian v2
- 1 1⁄2 kg roma tomatoes (or equivlent canned tomatoes)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small carrot, finely diced
- 1 large red onion, finely diced (brown works ok too)
- 2 sticks celery, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 375 g tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups vegetable stock
- salt & pepper
- Cut a cross in the pointy end of each tomato and place into boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Remove from water and set aside to cool. Remove skins and discard. Chop the tomatoes into 1cm sized pieces.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan, add carrot, onion, celery and garlic and cook uncovered on medium for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, brown sugar and stock and bring to the boil, stirring continually.
- Reduce head and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt & pepper and using a stab mixer, puree the sauce until smooth.
- Serve with prepared pasta of your choosing.
- Add fresh herbs such as oregano, flat leaf parsley or basil.
- Add 500g pork&veal mince to make it into a bolagnaise.
- Can be used for parmigiana.
Very fresh tasting. Like that there are no herbs and spices in this, so it doesn't hide the flavor of things such as the meatballs I served it with. (Demelza's Turkey Meatballs) Will be making this again. Made for Spring 2013 PAC.