Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a very famous cake among the Portuguese Eurasian families. No Christmas tradition is complete without it in Malaysia.
- Preheat oven 180 C and line one 8" cake pan.
- Whip eggs whites to a stiff froth and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add rose essence, ground nutmeg, ground cinnamon, and almonds. Mix in semolina flour.
- Fold in self raising flour and alternating with the egg whites, a little at a time until well blended.
- Bake for one hour until golden brown, or the cake skewer comes out clean when you stick it inches.
- Remove from pan and leave to cool. Pour brandy over and let it steep for a few hours. Tastes best if you let the brandy steep in the cake for a day.
I've never tried sugee cake before and my mom keeps raving about it. The centre of the cake didn't come out right and I have no idea why. It was pudding like texture. But the taste was really nice. I will definitely make it again.