Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Something magic happens to a filling of whipped egg whites, sugar, dates and orange when it's baked inside a yeast coffeecake. It's even better when it leaks out and makes a candylike crust on the baking sheet. I bet you could use refrigerated bread dough or crescent roll dough rather than make your own.
- 2 egg whites
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2⁄3 cup dates
- 2⁄3 cup walnuts
- Beat the egg whites with salt and cream of tartar until soft peaks form, beating in sugar gradually.
- Stir in orange zest, dates and walnuts.
- Roll out coffeecake yeast dough to a long oblong.
- Spread with butter all over.
- Spread with filling mixture.
- Roll up into a scroll to enclose filling. Bring ends together and pinch to seal.
- Bake as cake directions indicate.