Prep 4 hrs
Cook 30 mins
From Reading, 'Riting and Recipes. Preparation time includes rising time.
- 2 (2 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1⁄3 cup warm water
- 1 cup milk, scalded
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 5 1⁄4 cups sifted flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup chopped mixed fruit, and peels
- 1 cup seedless raisin
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 dash salt
- milk (enough to make a spreading) or cream (enough to make a spreading)
- Soften yeast in water.
- Combine scalded milk, sugar, oil and salt.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups flour. Beat vigorously.
- Add eggs. Beat well.
- Stir in softened yeast, vanilla and spices. Blend.
- Add chopped fruits, peels and nuts alone with enough flour to make soft dough.
- Turn dough out on a well-floured board.
- Knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes.
- Place dough in lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease the surface of the dough.
- Cover and let rise in warm place 2 hours.
- Punch down.
- Divide dough in half.
- Let rest 10 minutes.
- Shape into 2 round balls.
- Place on greased baking sheet.
- Pat tops to flatten lightly.
- Cover and let rise again for 1 1/2 to 2 hours in warm place.
- Bake in 350F oven for 30 minutes.
- Decorate with whole red cherries and slivers of green candied cherries to form a ring.