Recipe by Olha
A wonderfully moist high cake.
Top Review by bakegirl82
I made this cake for my mom because she's diabetic. And I picked this one because of the two star review that said it was too sweet. I like really sweet and so does my mom so I thought this one would be a winner. It's not sweet. It's really savory and tastes more like a cheese course than a dessert. I liked the pineapple. It was nice getting a taste of that because the pineapple bits were sweeter than the rest of the cake. The icing also was not sweet, tasted too much like a cream cheese spread than cream cheese frosting should. On a whole it was good for a savory dish, but not really for a dessert.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups Splenda granular
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely grated carrots
- 1⁄2 cup drained unsweetened, crushed pineapple
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
CREAM CHEESE ICING
- 1⁄2 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup light cream cheese, softened (3 oz.)
- 2 tablespoons lowfat margarine
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda granular
Directions See How It's Made
- PREHEAT THE OVEN TO 350°F
- Sift all the dry ingredients together. Stir in the walnuts.
- Beat the eggs well and stir in the vegetable oil. Add the carrots, crushed pineapple, pineapple juice and water.
- Add the semi-liquid ingredients to a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Stir only until moistened. Spoon into a greased 8 inch or 9 inch square baking pan and bake approximately 25 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the cake comes out clean. If a brownie style carrot cake is preferred, spoon the cake batter into 2 greased 8 inch square baking pans. Test for doneness after 20 minutes.
- CREAM CHEESE ICING: In a food processor or blender with a sharp blade, process the cottage cheese until smooth. Add the cream cheese, diet margarine and Splenda Granular. Beat until smooth. Cut the carrot cake into squares and frost with the cream cheese icing. Place a walnut on each square. Otherwise, instead of the Cream Cheese Icing, dust with icing sugar for a decorative touch. Serves 9.
- *This recipe doubles easily and freezes well.
- Splendid Desserts.