Recipe by southern chef in louisiana
An all-purpose barbecue-style marinade that is great with chicken, quail, and duck.
- 1 1⁄2 cups dark molasses
- 3⁄4 cup spanish sherry wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup creole mustard
- 1 1⁄2 cups top-quality canned tomato sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 scotch bonnet peppers, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1⁄8 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- In a food processor, combine all the ingredients, and pulse until smooth. Refrigerate until needed; this keeps for 1 month.
- Sugarcane Marinade with Tamarind.
- Combine 1 1/4 cups Sugarcane Marinade with 1/2 cup tamarind pulp in a small pot and heat over medium-low heat, stirring to dissolve the tamarind. When the mixture just begins to simmer, remove from the heat and pass through a coarse strainer. Let cool.