Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This cake is so good with a cup of freshly brewed coffee. It tastes like a yeast cake.
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted butter or 1 tablespoon regular margarine
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons softened butter or 2 tablespoons regular margarine
- Beat egg in bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until frothy.
- Add sugar and 1 Tablespoon butter, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add sour cream and vanilla; blend well.
- Sift together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Stir into sour cream mixture; blend well.
- Pour into greased 8-inch square baking pan.
- FOR THE SUGAR TOP: Combine brown sugar, 2 Tablespoons flour, cinnamon and 2 Tablespoons butter into bowl; mix until crumbly.
- Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake in 375 F.
- oven 25 to 30 minutes or until done.
- Serve warm.
- Makes 6 servings.
A pretty good version of the ever-popular crumb cake. It has a nice texture, maybe due to the sour cream. The crumbs are a little too melty though. Still, a good coffee cake, for minimal work. I dusted the top with powdered sugar just for looks. Olha, thanks for posting . . . Janet
This is a great recipe! I added fresh blueberries and it was a real hit.