Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I just reviewed a Sugar Glazed Fried Green Tomato recipe on Zaar and it reminded me of a recipe I use constantly during the summer and it is not posted. My mother stated it was Swedish and my father stated it was German or Bavarian. Very simple and the marinating juice can be used in soups, stews or vegetable pies. Note: You can use raw sugar also. These tomatoes can be added to a simple lettuce salad and no dressing is necessary or served separately with juice drained.
- Spray Pam or olive oil in pan.
- Slice tomatoes in 1/2 inch slices.
- Layer in glass or porclain 9 X 13 pan. Do not use metal.
- Sprinkle the sugar, salt, dill weed and then spray the vinegar on the first layer.
- Continue to layer the tomatoes and do the same process until all the tomatoes are in the pan.
- Cover with towel or plastic wrap. Let set or refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Drain the juices and use as suggested and serve.
- Note: A pinch of dill weed with your fingers goes a long way. That is how I sprinkle the dill weed.
- Cooking time is Marinating time for this recipe.
- If you want to sprinkle pepper you can.
Simple but awesome!
I halved this recipe, simply delicious! Thank You so much for sharing!
These taste gourmet without the gourmet price, or effort.. You can't go wrong here!