Recipe by HeatherFeather
I have been meaning to try these for some time, and I am sharing this now in response to a request. Adapted from an old holiday issue of "Family Circle" magazine. Prep time includes two chilling times - plan ahead.
Top Review by Chrissyo
These are really worth the effort and look very impressive when you serve them. I got a kick out the surprise that people got when they bit into the Sugar Plums. I did plan ahead and started making these early in the morning and did other things for the barbie that night whilst the dough and dough balls were chilling. I followed your directions to the letter. By the way, great instructions. Oh I made a pale plumish coloured decorating sugar. ;-) If you really want to dazzle someone, these are the babies to try that with!! Thank you HeatherFeather.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup sweet unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup seedless raisin, chopped finely
- 1⁄4 cup pitted dried dates, chopped finely
- 1⁄4 cup pecans, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon plum jam
- decorator sugar (red, green or white)
- 3 tablespoons sweet unsalted butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix flour, salt,and baking powder; set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Add egg and vanilla to the butter mixture and beat well.
- Stir in the flour mixture and mix until well combined.
- Flatten dough into a flat round, cover tightly in plastic wrap, and let chill for at least 1 hour.
- Mix together the dried fruits and nuts with the plum jam.
- Take about 1 rounded teaspoonful of chilled dough and roll into a ball (you may want to dip your hands in a little flour first).
- Press a dent into the dough ball and fill dent with a small amount of the fruit& nut mixture.
- Pinch dough over the filling and reroll to cover the filling.
- Set dough balls on greased baking sheets.
- Chill at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 F and bake sugar plums 12 minutes.
- Remove to racks to cool slightly.
- While the sugar plums are still warm, brush them with some melted butter, then roll in colored sugars to coat thoroughly.
- Let cool on wire rack.