Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Many years ago,while serving in the Air Force, I received this recipe from a friend's mother, that lived in Tennessee, to prepare for Christmas dinner. Those of us not going home for the holidays spent them together as a group. It was a great time for all, sort of home away from home. I wish I had her name on this recipe as she deserves the credit. It is a wonderful recipe and I s
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup cooked prune, , mashed (, no pits)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2-1 cup margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk, with baking soda added
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Mix dry ingredients with nuts, set aside.
- Beat eggs.
- Stir sugar, oil, and vanilla into beaten eggs.
- Stir in half of flour mixture until well blended.
- Add buttermilk, blend well.
- Add rest of flour mixture, mix well.
- Blend in prunes.
- Pour into greased pan (s).
- Bake 50-60 minutes.
- When done remove cake from oven.
- Put all topping ingredients into small saucepan heat on medium and bring to a boil.
- Pour 1/2 of mixture over top of cake.
- Pull cake away from sides of pan with a spatula or knife to allow liquid to soak in and around cake.
- Pour the rest of topping mixture over cake.
- Let soak overnight in refrigerator.
- Freezes well.
Delicious receipe....thanks for sharing! Followed them to the tee and it was perfect!
We enjoyed this a lot. Thanks for posting.