1/1 Photo of Sugar Plum Bread With Homemade Butter
1 hr 20 mins
Diana #2's Note:
This was my very first attempt at bread and has become a constant in our house. This is one of those things that just says "Christmas", but good any time of year. Freezes well. Our son became the 'official' butter maker when he was only 4. Great fun and wonderful memories. NOTE: Prep time does not include 3-1/2 hours of rising time.
My Private Note
round l ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 (8 g) package yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 cups flour, divided
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup candied fruit
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1In a large bowl, dissolve 1 tsp sugar in warm water.
- 2Sprinkle in yeast and let stand 10 minutes then stir well.
- 3Add 1/2 cup sugar, butter, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat for 2 minutes.
- 4Add 2 more cups flour and eggs. Beat 3 minutes.
- 5Stir in remaining flour. You should have a soft dough. Knead for 8 minutes. Place in a lightly greased bowl. Cover with greased paper and a towel.
- 6Let rise for 2 hours in a warm oven.
- 7Punch down. Knead in fruit and nuts. Shape into 2 balls.
- 8Place in greased 8” cake pans. Cover with a towel and let rise for 1-1/2 hours. Bake for 45 - 50 minutes at 350°.
- 9Remove from pans at once. Drizzle with glaze.
- 10Glaze: Mix sugar and water together. If too stiff, add more water by drops.
- 11Butter: In a glass jar, shake the whipping cream until butter forms. Drain and chill until ready to use.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sugar Plum Bread With Homemade Butter
Serving Size: 1 (119 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 376.7
- Calories from Fat 157
- Total Fat 17.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 96.7 mg
- Sodium 322.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 14.1 g
- Protein 7.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: