Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
An old recipe from my mom. She used to make these for holidays with piped icing for decoration. I put the dough back in the refrigerator between batches. Chill time is 1 hour.
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 teaspoons milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add shortening to a large mixing bowl; cream until fluffy.
- Gradually add in sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add in egg and milk; beat well.
- In another smaller bowl, add flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt; stir to combine; add to batter; beat well.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Cover and chill dough for 1 hour.
- Roll dough out onto a lightly floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut out with cookie cutter (I dip the cutting edges of my cookie cutters in flour first).
- Place cut-out shapes on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Cooled cookies may be frosted if desired.