Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
What a nice combination of spices this cookie has! It's between shortbread and gingersnaps. Roll into shooting stars, hearts, or flowers and decorte with Sugar Cookie Icing Sugar Cookie Icing. Note prep time does not include time to roll and cut out the dough.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons cloves
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- Stir together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and ginger.
- In large bowl cream butter, sugar, and egg; gradually add dry ingredients, mixing well. (If dough is very soft chill slightly for easier rolling).
- On lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8 inch(3 mm) thickness. With cookie cutters, cut into desired shapes; place on greased baking sheet. Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven for 5-8 minutes or until set.
I've made these a few times this year using a 50/50 mix of cinnamon and nutmeg in place of the cloves (because I never have any) and really liked them. So, I decided to give them to everyone for Christmas. On Christmas Eve, when I was making eight dozen of them, I was thanking my past self for choosing to make these cookies this year because they are so easy to make. Thank you so much for a delicious cookie recipe that made my Christmas cookie baking easy!
these were more like a ginger snap than a sugar cookie. they tasted good... as a gingersnap but didnt really work with my icing idea for valentines day. they dont need any frosting. i added some vanilla and agree that the dough is very forgiving.. rolled and rerolled with no problem. but not what i was looking for in a sugar cookie.
These cookies are great. Everyone really enjoyed the wonderful combination of flavors. The dough is very forgiving and allows for multiple rolling and handling. I divided the dough and placed half in the refrigerator for a few days and then allowed it to warm on the countertop before rolling and baking the rest of the cookies. This makes lots and lots of wonderful cookies. They also worked great with using a combination of Splenda and sugar. This will become my favorite sugar cookie recipe. Thanks so much for posting.