Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
British Tradition! Yummy year round, good prezzies at x-mas, and brilliant in stockings.
- 2 lbs granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 pint water
- 3 ounces liquid glucose or 3 ounces light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder or 1 teaspoon red food coloring
- nice clean white string or kitchen twine
- Put the sugar and water into a pan, and heat gently until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add glucose, and boil until 240 degrees Fahrenheit/105 centigrade.
- Take from heat, and allow to cool until it starts to thicken.
- When cool enough to handle, work in the coloring, if you are using it, and knead it.
- Pat out into a square.
- Separate fondant into equal parts (1 inch squares work really well.).
- COVER! in a bowl, in a freezer bag, anything so it won't dry out. It gets irritating when it's dried out --
- Roll each piece between hands till it's nice and smooth.
- Stick the tails into the fondant.
- Shape into mice-shapes.
- Take a tiny bit of fondant, work in the cocoa powder or food coloring to make noses.Pink or brown noses :) your choice!
- Place on parchment and let dry for 24 hours. Keeps for ages, just keep them cool, dry, separate.
Something's missing. There is no way this stuff is going to thicken. The measurements are a bit weird, neither US or metric. Now I have a pan with 2 pounds of sugar and no idea what to do.