Prep 1 min
Cook 7 mins
A lovely sugar cookie that is perfumed with mace and that I add vanilla sugar to. Perfect all year round. Yield depends on the size that you make the cookies.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mace
- vanilla sugar (optional)
- Cream sugar and butter.
- Add egg, milk, and vanilla; beat well.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, mace, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; blend into creamed mixture.
- Divide in half.
- Cover; chill 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- On lightly floured surface, roll each half to 1/8-inch thickness, if dough is too soft to roll and cut nicely knead in more flour, a little at a time, until it's a good consistency. .
- Cut with cookie cutters.
- Sprinkle with vanilla sugar if using.
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at for 7 to 8 minutes.
Very good cookies that rolled out great. I got about 36 cookies but I use big cookie cutters. Thanks for sharing!
Anna, these cookies are the bomb. So perfect, I made both thicker and thinner ones. The thicker ones rose beautifully and were soft and tender, while the thinner ones were crisp and delicious. What a wonderful flavor these cookies have. We really enjoyed them, just the right amount of spice. Thank you for sharing a recipe that we will enjoy often. Made as written but used pink sugar and pastels to garnish with.
This recipe was so easy to do. I let the dough in the fridge more than 30 minutes. Then I rolled it and it was easy. I baked them 8 minutes and they were ready. I used only half the dough, the remaining I put it in the freezer for later. Thanks Annacia. The mace gives a nice little taste. Made for PRMR tag game